[Python-3000] Will we have a true restricted exec environment for python-3000?

Vineet Jain vinj at alumni.rice.edu
Sat Apr 8 06:13:26 CEST 2006

I'm working on an application that allows user to write models
(currently python scripts) that get run on my grid of servers. My
application is written in python, pyrex and C and I would have liked to
use python for the user scripts as well. However, given that there is no
way to run restricted python scripts, I'm in the process of currently
moving from python to Lua for the user scripts. Is it wishful thinking
to have a python restricted exec mode which allows for:

1. Limit the memory consumed by the script
2. Limit access to file system and other system resources
3. Limit cpu time that the script will take
4. Be able to specify which modules are available for import

VJ