[Python-3000] Making strings non-iterable

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Apr 13 20:01:04 CEST 2006

I propose that strings (unicode/text) shouldn't be iterable.  Seeing this:

<ul>
  <li> i
  <li> t
  <li> e
  <li> m
  <li>
  <li> 1
</ul>

a few too many times... it's annoying.  Instead, I propose that strings
get a list-like view on their characters.  Oh synergy!

Thus you would do:

   for c in a_string.chars():
       print c

This view would have the full complement of list methods (like .count(),
.index(), etc), and would not have string methods (like .upper()).

Iterating over strings causes frequent hard bugs (bad data, as opposed
to exceptions which make for easy bugs), as the bug can manifest itself
far from its origination.  Also strings aren't containers.  Because
Python has no characters, only strings, as a result strings look like
they contain strings, and those strings in turn contain themselves.  It
just doesn't make sense.  And it is because a string and the characters
it contains are interchangeable (they are both strings) that the
resulting bugs can persist without exceptions.

Should bytes be iterable as well?  Because bytes (the container) and
integers are not interchangeable, the problems that occur with strings
seem much less likely, and the container-like nature of bytes is
clearer.  So I don't propose this effect bytes in any way.

Questions:

* .chars() doesn't return characters; should it be named something else?

* Should it be a method that is called?  dict.keys() has a legacy, but
this does not.  There is presumably very little overhead to getting this
view.  However, symmetry with the only other views we are considering
(dictionary views) would indicate it should be a method.  Also, there
are no attributes on strings currently.

* Are there other views on strings?  Can string->byte encoding be
usefully seen as a view in some cases?