[Python-3000] int-long unification

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sun Aug 20 01:57:47 CEST 2006

On 8/19/06, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> On 8/19/06, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> > Martin,
> >
> > I've thought about it more, and I think it's fine to use a single
> > type. It will surely simplify many things, and that alone might help
> > us win back some of the inefficiency this introduces. And it is best
> > for Python-level users.
>

> Woohoo!  I totally support this idea (along with anything else that comes up
> to simplify the C API; I almost feel like we need a dumbed-down API along
> with the full-powered API behind it).  I also support Martin doing the work
> =)  (but that's mostly because I know he is in a good position to do it
> well).

The easiest thing we could do to simplify extension writing would be
to supply a script that generates extension source and a setup.py from
a generic template. The template would demonstrate the current best
practices for defining a function, a constant, an Exception subclass,
and a class that wraps a C struct with a method or two.

-bob