[Python-3000] Making more effective use of slice objects in Py3k

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Aug 28 22:07:55 CEST 2006

Those are all microbenchmarks. It's easy to prove the superiority of
an approach that way. But what about realistic applications? What if
your views don't end up saving memory or time for an application, but
still cost in terms of added complexity in all string operations?

Anyway, let me begin with your  microbenchmark.

The first one pits a linear algorithm against a quadratic algorithm
with the expected result.

The second one is more interesting; your version doesn't copy while
the split() version copies, and that gives your version the expected
speedup. I never doubted this.

But your code has a worst-case problem: if you take a single short
view of a really long string and then drop the long string, the view
keeps it around. Something like this:

rest = ... # your mailbox file
results = []
for i in range(1000):
  x = rest + "." # Just to force a copy
  results.append(x.partition("\r\n.\r\n")[0]) Save the *first* message
over and over

Now watch the memory growth with your version vs. with standard partition.

Now fix this in your code and re-run your benchmark.

Then I come with another worst-case scenario, etc.

Then I ask you to make it so that string views are 99.999%
indistinguishable from strings -- they have all the same methods, are
usable everywhere else, etc.

--Guido