[Python-3000] Making more effective use of slice objects in Py3k

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Aug 30 17:31:07 CEST 2006

The difference between a string and a view is one of TYPE. (Because
they can have such different performance and memory usage
characteristics, it's not right to treat them as the same type.)

You seem to be misunderstanding what I said. I want the return type
only to depend on the input types. This means that all string and view
concatenations must return strings, not views, because we can always
create a new string, but we cannot always create a new view
representing the concatenation (unless views were to support disjoint
sections, which leads to insanity and the complexity and slowness of
ABC's B-tree string implementation).

Assuming v and w are views: Just like v.lower() must sometimes create
a new string, which implies it must always return a string, v+w must
sometimes create a new string, so it must always return a string.
(It's okay to return an existing string if one with the appropriate
value happens to be lying around nearby; but it's not okay to return
one of the input views, because they're not strings.)

Hope this clarifies things,

--Guido