[Python-3000] Metaclasses in Py3K

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Dec 8 15:53:34 CET 2006

I've been thinking about this too, and I think it's reasonable to let
the metaclass provide the dict to be used as locals. This is easier
when the metaclass is given in the class header, e.g. by way of a base
class, or through the default metaclass. Although the default default
metaclass could of course have a hook to pass things on to another
metaclass specified using a __metaclass__ assignment, I'd rather
innovate a bit more and add keyword arguments to the class header,
e.g.

class C(B1, B2, metaclass=Foo):

How can we design this feature without yet another gigantic
contentious thread? I'm losing my appetite for those. I wonder if the
right thing wouldn't be if you could do some serious research into the
best possible semantics, syntax and implementation, and then post a
fully-formed proposal (not quite a PEP). There is of course always the
danger that you might go off into the deep end with that, so I'll
leave it up to your judgement to decide when to post again. (Also, I'm
still quite restricted in my internet access, at least until Monday.)

--Guido