[Python-3000] Py3k release schedule worries

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Dec 21 05:43:39 CET 2006

[SNIP]

Ok, so be it. Let this be a pronouncement -- the only stdlib reorg
> we're doing will be (a) deleting silly old stuff; (b) rename modules
> that don't conform to the current module/package naming convention,
> like StringIO, cPickle or UserDict.

Care to give a more concrete rule on (a)?  For instance, is the AL/al
modules worth keeping around, or any of the IRIX modules?  What about
modules that still lack documentation?  How about modules that have not been
updated since a certain version like 1.5.2 or a certain amount of time (like
3 or 4 years)?

I just want to get a rough idea so that a separate thread can be started to
discuss modules that should go.  We can do svn log checks on code and
documentation to try to automatically find out what modules have no love.
We can also do Google Code Search queries on import statements to see how
much various modules are used.

As for (b), does this also extend to modules within a package?  For
instance, wsgi.simple_server or a bunch of the distutils submodules have
underscores in them and PEP 8 says underscores are bad for modules and
packages.  Similar issue goes for xml.etree.ElementTree.  But there is no
mention in the PEP about modules within a package.

-Brett