[Python-3000] Py3k release schedule worries

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Dec 21 22:21:33 CET 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:

 > I personally find ElementTree.py a worse offender than simple_server.py

if you want consistency, you shouldn't change the style guide quite as
often ;-)

(when ET was written, the official style guide said "Module names can be
either MixedCase or lowercase. /.../ Modules that export a single class
(or a number of closely related classes, plus some additional support)
are often named in MixedCase, with the module name being the same as the
class name (e.g. the standard StringIO module).")

for ET 1.3, I'll probably make more stuff available via __init__.py, so
you don't have to explicitly import the ElementTree module in new code.

> (and I'm not sure I still agree 100% with the rule against
> underscores).

not using underscores in package names makes a certain sense, but
not allowing them in module names strikes me as misguided.  what's
the rationale?

</F>