[Python-3000] Pre-PEP: Simple input built-in in Python 3000

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Dec 22 22:47:35 CET 2006

I like the exact proposal made here better than any of the
alternatives mentioned so far.

- Against naming it readline(): the "real" readline doesn't strip the
\n and returns an empty string for EOF instead of raising EOFError; I
believe the latter is more helpful for true beginners' code.

- Against naming it ask() and renaming print() to say(): I find those
rather silly names that belong in toy or AI languages. Changing print
from statement to function maintains Pythonicity; renaming it say()
does not.

- I don't expect there will be much potential confusion with the 2.x
input(); that function is used extremely rarely. It will be trivial to
add rules to the refactoring tool (sandbox/2to3/) that replace input()
with eval(input()) and replace raw_input() with input().

--Guido