[Python-3000] No Container Literals

Calvin Spealman ironfroggy at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 17:18:32 CEST 2006

Just throwing this out there, but I would love to see a complete
dropping of container literals from Python. That is why I proposed the
coercion syntax (ex: list from something) because it would allow
things like list(1, 2, 3) and we can already do dict(ten=10,
eleven=11), so what is the real need for literals as they are? With
some proper compiler optimization we can deduce if list, dict, and
such are in fact bound to the builtins we know, and build literals
from these expressions just the same, but I feel they seem much more
readable, and allow better addition of more literal compilations (set
literals are fixed then, for example). I know no one will like this,
but I have to make the idea known anyway.