[Python-3000] Alternatives to 'outer'

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 15:27:22 CET 2006

On 10/29/06, Gary Stephenson <garys at ihug.com.au> wrote:

> I would like to suggest the spelling "free", as I believe the term "free
> variable" has been widely used to describe the concept (albeit
> usually in reference to undeclared variables.)

They are currently called free variables (or cell variables).  This
isn't helpful for the beginner, and was confusing for me.  On the
other hand, maybe beginners shouldn't be using them anyhow.

I'll suggest "reuse"

     reuse myoutvar

A simple "use" is too generic, but "reuse" implies that it already
exists elsewhere, which (other than "not global") is the main point.

-jJ