[Python-3000] Path Reform: Get the ball rolling

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Wed Nov 1 18:42:22 CET 2006

Talin wrote:

> Now, that being said, I wouldn't have a problem with there being an
> "abstract filesystem object" that represents an entity on disk (be it
> file, directory, etc.), which would have a path inside it that would do
> some of the things you suggest.

I think this option should be explored a bit more for python 3000.

Is this a matter of just adding name spaces, or do you have something more
specific in mind?

    filesys.path
    filesys.curdir
    filesys.pardir
    filesys.open
    etc...

If this, then what methods and attributes under 'os' would be moved and which
would stay?

Or is this too big a change?

And also if this, would name spaces be used to organize methods to other IO
objects such as local or WWW networks, and etc.? (net.path, inet.path)

Cheers,
   Ron