[Python-3000] Abilities / Interfaces

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Nov 22 17:23:51 CET 2006

On 11/22/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> Actually "ability" is more general than "interface", because interface
> implies two things talking to one another.  Some Zope uses of "interfaces"
> don't include any actual "interfacing" at all, so to me your examples
> actually support calling them "abilities" rather than "interfaces".

I like this line of reasoning. It makes a lot of sense.

I'm still torn because I also like using familiar terminology or
syntax even if I have to give it new semantics; Python is all about
that! It can get tedious to have to explain to new users "well, an
assignment is known as PUT, and a variable is called a location, and
subroutines we call a HOW'TO, and strings we call texts" (as was the
case for ABC, Python's ill-fated predecessor which invented "optimal"
terminology in a vacuum).

But for the time being I'd like to try out this new word and see how it fits.