[Python-3000] Alternatives to 'outer'

Talin talin at acm.org
Fri Oct 13 07:23:23 CEST 2006

In reference to the discussion of assignment to variables in outer
scopes: I get the sense that there are a substantial number of folks who
  are in agreement on the basic semantics, and the only sticking point
is exactly what keyword to pick.

(I should mention that I'm still off to the side in the 'point of
definition' camp, but I'm always happy to help out with things even if I
don't agree with them :)

So let me spit out some possible suggestions in terms of keywords:

	ref
	refer
	share
	sharing
	common
	use
	using
	borrow

Rationale: 'ref' / 'use' / 'using' in the sense we're not declaring a
variable, but simply referring to one.

'share' / 'sharing' / 'common' - I'm thinking of the word 'share' in the
dictionary sense of common ownership, or a 'nonrival good'.)

(BTW, Guido, who I talked to at BayPiggies tonight, tells me that
'share' meant the same as 'global' in ABC.)

To get a sense of how 'refer' might look in context:

   def myfunc():
     x = 10
     def inner():
        refer x