[Python-3000] UTF-16

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Fri Sep 1 05:32:32 CEST 2006

> (Adding back py3k list assuming you just forgot it)

Yes, thanks. Gmail's UI really optimizes the "Reply To" operation of "Reply
To All."

> Plus, it sounds like you're proposing that the encodings of the underlying
> > data would leak through to the application. As I understood Fredrick's
> > model, the intention was to treat the encoding as an implementation
> detail.
> > If it works well, this could be an important differentiator for Python
> > (versus Java) as Unicode already is (versus Ruby).
>
> *Only* for UTF-16, which I consider a necessary evil since we can't
> rewrite the Java and .NET standards.

I see what you're getting at.

I'd say that decoding UTF-16 data in CPython and PyPy should (by default)
create true Unicode characters. Jython and IronPython could create
surrogates and characters when necessary. When you run the program in
CPython you'll get better behaviour than in Jython/IronPython. Maybe there
could be a way to make CPython run like Jython and IronPython if you wanted
100% absolute compatibility between the environments. I think that we agree
that it would be unfortunate if CPython copied Java and .NET to its own
detriment. It's also not inconceivable that Java and .NET might evolve a
4-byte mode in the long term.

 Paul Prescod