[Python-3000] Pre-PEP: Easy Text File Decoding

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Sun Sep 10 20:30:14 CEST 2006

I don't mind your name of autotextfile but I think that your by_content
argument defeats the goal of having a very simple API for quick and dirty
stuff. If content detection is a good idea (usually right) then we should do
it. If it isn't, we shouldn't. I don't see a need for an argument to turn it
on and off. The programmer is not likely to have a lot more understanding
than we do of whether it is effective or not.

Also, there are two different levels of content detection (as someone later
in the thread pointed out). There is looking at BOMs, and there is a
statistical approach of looking for high characters and inferring their
encoding. I can't see an argument for ever turning off the BOM detection.

 Paul Prescod