[Python-3000] Kill GIL?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Sep 17 20:03:34 CEST 2006

On 9/17/06, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Andre Meyer wrote:
> > While I understand the difficulties in removing the GIL and the
> > potential negative effect on single-threaded applications I would very
> > much encourage discussion to seriously consider removing the GIL (maybe
> > optionally) in Py3k. If not, what alternatives would you suggest?
>
> Brett Cannon's sandboxing work (which aims to provide first-class support
> for
> multiple interpreters in the same process for security reasons) also seems
> like a potentially fruitful approach to distributing processing to
> multiple cores:
>    - use threads to perform blocking I/O in parallel
>    - use multiple interpreters to perform Python execution in parallel

Possibly, but as it stands now interpreters just execute in their own Python
thread, so there is no real performance boost.  Without the GIL shifting
over to per interpreter instead of per process there is going to be the same
performance problems as with Python threads.  And changing that would be
hard since objects can be shared between multiple interpreters.

-Brett