[Python-3000] Delayed reference counting idea

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Sep 19 07:27:18 CEST 2006

Jim Jewett wrote:

> Would it solve this problem if there were a PyTEMPREF that magically
> treated the refcount as an automatic variable?  (It increfed
> immediately, and decrefed whenever the function exited, without the
> user having to track this manually.)

This would be wrong, because most functions return
new references, which should *not* be increfed when
assigned to a variable.

How would you implement that in C anyway? (C++ could
do it, but we're not going there, as far as I know.)

University of Canterbury,	   | Carpe post meridiem!          	  |
Christchurch, New Zealand	   | (I'm not a morning person.)          |