[Python-3000] Kill GIL?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Sep 19 23:34:53 CEST 2006

Nick Coghlan schrieb:
> I was thinking it would be easier to split out the Global Interpreter Lock and
> a per-interpreter Local Interpreter Lock, rather than trying to go to a full
> free-threading model. Anyone sharing other objects between interpreters would
> still need their own synchronisation mechanism, but something like
> threading.Queue should suffice for that.

The challenge with that is "global" (i.e. across-interpreter) objects.
There are several of these: the obvious singletons (None, True, False),
the non-obvious singletons ((), -2..100 or so), and the extension module
globals (types, and in particular exceptions).

Do you want them still to be global, or per-interpreter?

Regards,
Martin