[Python-3000] Delayed reference counting idea

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Fri Sep 22 13:54:19 CEST 2006

Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> writes:

> I know. What I mean to say, I think, is can it be designed so that
> there cannot be any pauses longer than there would have been if
> freeing had been performed as early as possible by refcounting.

The question is misleading: refcounting also causes pauses, but at
different times and with different length distribution. An incremental
GC generally has pauses which are incomparable to pauses of refcounting,
i.e. it has longer pauses where refcounting had shorter pauses and
vice versa.

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       qrczak at knm.org.pl