[Python-3000] How will unicode get used?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Sep 25 07:26:30 CEST 2006

Josiah Carlson schrieb:
> What about a tree structure over the top of the string as I described in
> another post?  If there are no surrogate pairs, the pointer to the tree
> is null.  If there are surrogate pairs, we could either use the
> structure as I described, or even modify it so that we get even better
> memory utilization/performance (choose tree nodes based on where
> surrogate pairs are, up to some limit).

As always, it's a time-vs-space tradeoff. People tend to resolve these
in favor of time, accepting an increase in space. I'm not so sure this
is always the right answer. In the specific case, I'm also worried about
the increase in complexness.

That said, it is always good to have a prototype implementation to
analyse the consequences better.

Regards,
Martin