[Python-3000] Line continuation using ellipsis

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Apr 14 04:18:42 CEST 2007

Steven Bethard wrote:

> Just like everywhere else, you can use parentheses:

> ...     'ASDF')

Yes, but you have to put the opening paren in
a somewhat awkward place to get it to work.

Seems to me it would be much more intuitive to
use what Haskell calls the "offside rule", i.e.
anything indented more than the beginning of a
statement is part of that statement.

The only drawback might be that an indentation
error could lead to something being interpreted
in an unintended way. But I suspect it would
result in a syntax error in most situations.

--
Greg