[Python-3000] PEP 3119 - Introducing Abstract Base Classes

Jeffrey Yasskin jyasskin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 21:27:16 CEST 2007

This PEP says that no ABC defines __init__ or a couple other methods.
Is that a prohibition on ABCs in general, or just a comment about the
ones defined here?

Can properties be abstract? How would one specify it? (Is that
@abstractattribute?)

On the orderings: If I have a function foo(a, b) and I want to check
whether they're totally ordered (perhaps sort() will use a topological
sort when its argument's contents are only partially ordered.), how do
I do it?
  "isinstance(a, TotallyOrdered) and isinstance(b, TotallyOrdered)"
doesn't work since they may be in two different orders.
  "isinstance(a, TotallyOrdered) and type(a)==type(b)" doesn't work
when you tend to inherit from concrete types.
  " isinstance(a, TotallyOrdered) and isinstance(b, TotallyOrdered)
and (isinstance(a, type(b)) or isinstance(b, type(a))" fails when a
and b are sibling subclasses of int. (I didn't think of this option; I
think it was Jim Jewett's?)
  Searching up the hierarchy from a and b for the first concrete type,
and checking if those are equal would be pretty reliable if types were
singly-inherited, but with multiple inheritance, it would take more
thought to get it right.
  Java's solution is to parametrize Comparable with the type that the
subclass is comparable with. TotallyOrdered could specify an attribute
on its subclasses for users to check against.