[Python-3000] More PEP 3101 changes incoming

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Aug 3 19:20:50 CEST 2007

I have no time for a complete response, but a few quickies:

- The more I think about it the, more I think putting knowledge of
floating point formatting into the wrapper is wrong. I really think we
should put this into float.__format__ (and int.__format__, and
Decimal.__format__). I can't find a reason why you don't want this;
perhaps it is an axiom? I think it needs to be challenged.

- The relative priorities of colon and comma vary by context; e.g. in
a[i:j, m:n] the colon binds tighter.

- Interpreting X.Y as min.max, while conventional in C, is hard to remember.

- If we're going to deviate from .NET, we should deviate strongly, and
I propose using semicolon as delimiter.