[Python-3000] Immutable bytes type and dbm modules

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Aug 9 23:04:46 CEST 2007

Jason Orendorff schrieb:
> On 8/7/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> My concern is that people need to access existing databases. It's
>> all fine that the code accessing them breaks, and that they have
>> to actively port to Py3k. However, telling them that they have to
>> represent the keys in their dbm disk files in a different manner
>> might cause a revolt...
>
> Too true.  Offhand, why not provide hooks for serializing and
> deserializing keys?

Perhaps YAGNI? We already support pickling values (dbshelve),
and I added support for encoding/decoding strings as either
keys or values (though in a limited manner).

In any case, somebody would have to make a specification
for that, and then somebody would have to provide an
implementation of it.

Regards,
Martin