[Python-3000] Four new failing tests

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Aug 12 23:54:36 CEST 2007

>> Exactly my feelings. Still, people seem to like string.letters a lot,
>> and I'm unsure as to why that is.
>
> I think because it feels like the most direct, least obscured
> approach.  Calling ord() feels like a hack, re is overkill and
> maligned for many reasons, and c.isalpha() would behave differently if
> passed unicode instead of str.

I think the first ones might apply, but the last one surely doesn't.
When people use string.letters, they don't consider issues such as
character set. If they would, they knew that string.letters may vary
with locale.

> What's really frightening
> is the tendency to use string.letters to build regular expressions.

Indeed. However, if string.letters is removed, I trust that people
start listing all characters explicitly in the regex, and curse
python-dev for removing such a useful facility.

Regards,
Martin