[Python-3000] Proposed new language for newline parameter to TextIOBase

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Aug 16 03:38:09 CEST 2007

Georg Brandl wrote:
> "U" instead of the empty string for universal newline mode.

It would be good to leave open the possibility of
allowing arbitrary line separation strings at some
time in the future. In that case, newline == "U" would
mean lines separated by "U".

Predefined constants seem like a good idea to me.
Otherwise I'm sure I'll always have to look up what
'' and None mean.

University of Canterbury,	   | Carpe post meridiem!          	  |
Christchurch, New Zealand	   | (I'm not a morning person.)          |