[Python-3000] what to do with profilers in the stdlib

Alexandre Vassalotti alexandre at peadrop.com
Sat Aug 25 02:45:53 CEST 2007

On 8/24/07, Neal Norwitz <nnorwitz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I suggest merging profile and cProfile (which uses _lsprof) similar to
> how stringio and pickle are being merged.

cProfile and profile.py are on my merge to-do. I was supposed to merge
cProfile/profile.py as part of my GSoC, but stringio and pickle have
taken most of my time. So, I will merge the profile modules in my free
time.

> This leaves hotshot as odd man out.  We should remove it.  If we don't
> remove it, we should try to merge these modules so they have the same API
> and capabilities as much as possible, even if they work in different
> ways.

I don't think hotshot has any features that cProfile or profile don't
(but I haven't checked throughly yet). So, I agree that it should be
removed.

-- Alexandre