[Python-3000] Will standard library modules comply with PEP 8?

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Tue Aug 28 10:15:07 CEST 2007

> On Aug 27, 2007, at 6:16 PM, john.m.camara at comcast.net wrote:
>
>> I would like to see PEP 8 remove the "as necessary to improve
>> readability" in the function and method naming conventions.  That
>> way methods like StringIO.getvalue() can be renamed to
>> StringIO.get_value().

Gratuitous breakage -- for nothing.  This is idiotic, pedantic, and counterproductive.  (No offense intended, I'm talking about the
suggestion, not the suggestor).

Ask ten of your programmer friends to write down "result equals object dot get value" and see if more than one in ten uses an
underscore (no stacking the deck with Cobol programmers).

Raymond