[Python-3000] Need help fixing failing Py3k Unittests in py3k-struni

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Thu Jul 12 14:16:33 CEST 2007

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 7/11/07, Walter Dörwald <walter at livinglogic.de> wrote:
>> I guess for the final version of Py3000 type_set_name() in typeobject.c
>> will not downgrade unicode strings to str8, but instead upgrade str8
>> objects to unicode.
>
> Right, Thomas is working on this (but I have some feedback on his fix).
>
>> Also now that PyObject_Unicode() tries __unicode__ first and then tp_str
>> should we rename all __unicode__ methods to __str__, or will __unicode__
>> stay?
>
> __unicode__ should be renamed to __str__, or removed (depending on
> whether the __str__ method already does the right thing).

I've dropped __unicode__ from tkinter. The only remaining __unicode__
use is in the email package (besides the tests, where IMHO __unicode__
should stay as long as its handled by PyObject_Unicode()).
email.Header.Header defines a __unicode__ which is different from the
__str__ method. I guess Barry will know how to fix this.

Servus,
   Walter