[Python-3000] pep 3124 plans

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Jul 19 16:22:37 CEST 2007

On 7/19/07, Aurélien Campéas <aurelien.campeas at logilab.fr> wrote:
> I would have liked to have input on this from other people using
> RuleDispatch features also (doesn't one of Django/Turbogears project
> use them extensively ?). Just so the BDFL & lieutenants don't argue
> too much in the direction of 'the community has no experience with
> these things'. I think (wishfully ?) a sizeable, if not big, part of
> the python *user* community is knwoledgeable about it. These people do
> not necessarily express themselves there.

Thanks for posting. It's been excruciatingly hard to find anyone
besides Phillip interested in GFs or able to provide use cases. For me
they're mostly still something theoretically interesting from other
languages, like continuations. Maybe you can round up some more users?

FWIW, I think the Turbogears use you're thinking of is jsonify, a GF
for converting arbitrary Python data into JSON (JavaScript Object
Notation). But I'm not aware of it using any of the advanced features
-- it seems to be using just the basic facility of overloading on a
single argument type, which could be done with my own "overloading"
example (see the Python subversion sandbox). At least that's what I
got from skimming the docs:
http://docs.turbogears.org/1.0/JsonifyDecorator . That article claims
that TurboGears uses RuleDispatch extensively. I'd love to hear from
them about how they use the advanced features.