[Python-3000] PEP 368: Standard image protocol and class

Joe Smith unknown_kev_cat at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 22 21:51:51 CEST 2007

"Greg Ewing" <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote in message
news:46A16803.1020200 at canterbury.ac.nz...
> Joe Smith wrote:
>> If the maintainers of most of the large packages that do imaging are
>> willing
>> to support this,
>> and your code is good, I see absolutely no reason why this PEP would not
>> be
>> accepted.
>
> Something that bothers me about it a little is that
> the core Python/C API seems like the wrong place to put
> PyImge_* functions.

The document mentions delivering a version of the code that uses python and
C. That would be an extention module, correct? Couldn't those functions be
in the C extention? The Docs for 2.5 state that extention modules can
provide a C API that other modules can use. (I'm assuming that has not
changed).
That should work. After all any extention that needs those functions will
likely on the python side be importing the Image module anyway, which would
require that the C extention for the Image module be loaded.

Or am I missing something?
If am am not missing anything, this sounds like a minor implementation
issue.