[Python-3000] Py3k_struni additional test failures under cygwin

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Jul 30 02:27:20 CEST 2007

On 7/29/07, Joe Smith <unknown_kev_cat at hotmail.com> wrote:
> There are still some problems with the 'Python' directory for example. This
> is because of a change in the internals of Cygwin.
> Cygwin does have "managed mounts" which allow for case sensitivity.
> Compiling Python inside a managed mount eliminates those issues.
> So it is not a terribly big deal.
>
> If I patch io.py to default to "utf-8" rather than using the filesystem
> encoding (ascii), that fixes a few more things. (test_coding.py and
> test_minidom.py)

How come the filesystem decoding is set to ASCII?

> Then there are only 2 test failures remaining that are not listed on the
> wiki. One of them is a very minor issue in test_platform.py.
> The other is a more complicated problem with test_mailbox.py

Please do add these to the wiki, so we won't forget them. If you want
CYGWIN to work, existing CYGWIN users will have to contribute patches.

> First the test_platform problem.
> sys.executable lacks the ".exe" suffix.  In order for libc_ver to work it
> would need to be passed the exe suffix.
> The cygwin specific hack in the test_platform.py does not work if when using
> a managed mount because a managed mount is case sensitive, so
> isdir(executable) returns false.
> (Using libc_ver with no arguments also fails for the same basic reason.
> (although there is no cygwin hack in that case.))   That said, using
> libc_ver on cygwin would not be meaningful because cygwin uses newlib
> instead of libc/glibc.
>

> The mailbox.py problem seems troubling, I'm getting exceptions of type
> "IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied" on "./@test" (aka.
> test_support.TESTFN) .
>
> This is true for all tests after TestMbox's run of test_add(). All of
> TestMailDir works fine. TestMbox's test_add() works fine, but all the
> remaining tests that use "./@test" fail. Sounds like something is not
> getting cleaned up correctly. That said no "@test" file or directory is left
> behind after the end of the test.

Sounds like test_add() changes the perms on the file.

> (For whats its worth, Cygwin's python 2.5 (as installed on my system) fails
> 2 of the tests in it's version of test_mailbox.py, both with "IOError:
> [Errno 13] Permission denied").

OK, so the fix may need to be backported -- or perhaps (if it's easier
to find and fix in 2.5) forward ported.