[Python-3000] pep 3124 plans

Talin talin at acm.org
Mon Jul 30 05:41:08 CEST 2007

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 08:25 AM 7/27/2007 -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> Basic GFs, great. Before/after/around, good. Other method
>> combinations, fine. But GFs in classes and subclassing? Not until we
>> have a much better design.
>
> Sounds reasonable to me.  The only time I actually use them in
> classes myself is to override existing generic functions that live
> outside the class, like ones from an Interface or a standalone generic.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit over the last week, and in
particular thinking about the kinds of use cases that I would want to
use GFs for.

One idea that I had a while back, but rejected as simply too much of a
kludge, was to say that for GFs that are also methods, we would use
regular Python method dispatching on the first argument, followed by GF
overload dispatching on the subsequent arguments.

The reason that this is a kludge is that now the first argument behaves
differently than the others.

(Pay no attention to the specific syntax here.)

    class A:
       @overload
       def method(self, x:object):

    class B(A):
       @overload
       def method(self, x:int):

    b = B()
    b.method("test") // Method not found

With regular GFs, this example works because there is a method that
satisfies the constraints - the one in A. But since the first argument
dominates all of the decision, by the time we get to B, the overloads in
A are no longer accessible. Its as if each subclass is in it's own
little GF world.

However, even though this is clumsy from a theoretical standpoint, from
a practical standpoint it may not be all that bad. Most of the time,
when I want to declare a GF that is also a method, I'm just using the
class as a namespace to hold all this stuff, and I really don't care
much about whether subclasses can extend it or not. I'm not using the
type of 'self' to select different implementations in this case.

And in the case where I really do want to do dynamic dispatch on *all*
of the arguments, including the first one, then it's more likely that I
will declare the GF as a global function, instead of as a method.

An example of this would be an AST walker: I have a class which walks an
AST and does various transformations on it, such as constant folding or
algebraic simplification. Since I have some state that I'd need to carry
around, I'll put that in a class, and then I'll have class methods which
are dynamically dispatched on the *second* argument which is the node type:

    class ASTWalker:
       @overload
       def foldConstants(self, node:InfixOperator):

       @overload
       def foldConstants(self, node:UnaryOperator):

       @overload
       def foldConstants(self, node:ConstantInteger):

       @overload
       def foldConstants(self, node:ConstantString):

In this case, I have no need to subclass the class, and I'm only doing
dynamic dispatching on the second argument.

So basically what I would propose is that we simply say that we don't
mix normal overloading and multi-method dispatch until PJE comes up with
his better solution.

-- Talin