[Python-3000] Py3k_struni additional test failures under cygwin

Joe Smith unknown_kev_cat at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 30 18:12:17 CEST 2007

""Martin v. Löwis"" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote in message
news:46AD6E67.50407 at v.loewis.de...
>>> If I patch io.py to default to "utf-8" rather than using the filesystem
>>> encoding (ascii), that fixes a few more things. (test_coding.py and
>>> test_minidom.py)
>>
>> How come the filesystem decoding is set to ASCII?
>
> I guess there are two problems: a) MS_WINDOWS isn't defined, and the
> relevant code in bltinmodule.c doesn't special-case cygwin, and b)
> setlocale is defined on Cygwin, but doesn't work.

Cygwin's setlocale function only supports the "C" locale.
I am a bit suprised that ASCII is returned rather than the system's default
encoding.
(I believe that should be Latin-1 on my system).

>>> (For whats its worth, Cygwin's python 2.5 (as installed on my system)
>>> fails
>>> 2 of the tests in it's version of test_mailbox.py, both with "IOError:
>>> [Errno 13] Permission denied").
>
> I found that in many cases, this is a virus scanner or the indexing
> service interfering. They open the file, and then the test suite cannot
> delete it.

Good guesses, but the indexing service is turned off, and I am not running
any virus scanning software.

The failures for the 2.5 test come from lines that look like:
"for line in f:". The failures in the 3k tests come from the lines that
attempt to open the file.

It does seem likely though that something is going wrong with the deletion,
effectively delaying
it, which is triggering the errors. But i'm not sure what.

But actually looking closely I was mistaken. Only one test failed under 2.5.
That was TestMH's test_pack.
It may be a fluke. Or perhaps the Cygwin Python maintainer understood that
failure and decided it was nothing to worry about.

GvR's thoughts of changing file permissions do not seem to work, as test_add
certainly does not look to be changing file permissions.