[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Ka-Ping Yee python at zesty.ca
Fri May 25 12:00:12 CEST 2007

On Fri, 25 May 2007, [ISO-8859-1] "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> People should not have to read long system configuration pages
> just to run the program that they intuitively wrote correctly
> right from the start.

It is not intuitive.  One thing I learned from the discussion here
about Unicode identifiers in other languages is that, though this
support exists in several other languages, it is *different* in each
of them.  And PEP 3131 is different still.  They allow different
sets of characters, and even worse, use different normalization rules.

Can you keep straight which letters are allowed in Java, Javascript,
C#, Python?  What about two identifiers which refer to the same
variable in some languages but refer to different variables in others?

How do we know that PEP 3131's answer is the right answer and all
these other languages chose the wrong answer?

This is far from simple.

-- ?!ng