[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Baptiste Carvello baptiste13 at altern.org
Sat May 26 00:00:43 CEST 2007

Guido van Rossum a écrit :

> If there's a security argument to be made for restricting the alphabet
> used by code contributions (even by co-workers at the same company), I
> don't see why ASCII-only projects should have it easier than projects
> in other cultures.

there is only one valid reason: because that's the reasonable choice for open
source code, and you make the political choice to favor open-source.
An ASCII-only default helps open source projects keep their codebase readable,
and also makes it easier to open proprietary codebases after the fact. On the
other hand, a non-ASCII default does help novice users. So you will make someone
unhappy...

My personal data point: in scientific research, where I work, specialized
programs are sometimes not organised by projects, but by codes, which are
developped in-house and open-sourced *as is* after the fact. For this use case,
a non-ASCII default is clearly a nuisance, because non-ASCII identifiers would
be used without much thought when the program is a small in-house project, and
then make it difficult to debug 5 years down the road when it has become
important for the community. In this peculiar case, non-ASCII identifiers also
have less justification, because all researchers understand english well anyway.
So, for my personal interests, an ASCII-only default would be better.

just my 2 cents,
BC