[Python-3000] Unicode and OS strings

Hagen Fürstenau hagenf at CoLi.Uni-SB.DE
Fri Sep 14 14:20:19 CEST 2007

> That is not a concern. However, it is fundamentally the wrong thing to
> do. Most people rightfully view command line arguments and file names
> as strings, as they use the keyboard to enter them, and the computer
> uses letters from a font to display them. They are not bytes
> conceptually - they are strings in a potentially unknown encoding.

Are you sure that "strings in an unknown encoding" are conceptually
strings and not rather bytes?

And what if we skillfully conserve unknown bytes in a private use or
surrogate area and the application author actually knows the encoding
and wants correctly decoded strings?

- Hagen

--
http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~hagenf/
PGP fingerprint: C8EF 458E 5531 14AA 42BC AA1C 36AE D91D BA94 7D32