[Python-3000] ordered dict for p3k collections?

Neville Grech Neville Grech nevillegrech at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 18:36:51 CEST 2007

>From a python's user point of view. a sorted dict/set/list was sometimes a
requirement for me. Basically. a dictionary that had a BTree implementation
instead of a hash table. Also. having an explicit type error would then be a
clear indication that you have something wrong in your implementattion (and
therefore useful indication).
Other languages have separate collection frameworks like C# has
powercollections. Having these collections as part of the standard library
is another issue though.
On 9/15/07, Arvind Singh <arvind1.singh at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hope that Python gets a sorteddict and a
> > sortedset.
>

> It doesn't make sense for Python to have sorteddict or sortedset. You see,
> dict can have  keys which cannot be ordered (keys can be heterogeneous, in
> which case Py3K may raise TypeError; ordering doesn't make sense for the
> objects used as keys) and same goes for set elements.
>
> Sorting makes sense only as a run-time operation, in which case, the
> programmer should be prepared to handle appropriate exceptions.
>
> Btw, would you like a dict or set for which you have to handle exceptions
> at every insertion?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Arvind