[Python-3000] raw strings and \u

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Apr 5 16:44:10 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 11:18 PM, Neal Norwitz <nnorwitz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just checked in r62163 with this change:
>  -            rc = os.system(r"ml64 -c -Foms\uptable.obj ms\uptable.asm")
>  +            rc = os.system("ml64 -c -Foms\\uptable.obj ms\\uptable.asm")
>
>  What should happen with raw unicode strings that contain a \u?  The
>  old code above was generating:
>   SyntaxError: (unicode error) truncated \uXXXX
>
>  Is that correct?  Or should the \u be translated literally?

Oops, there's a regression!!!

In 2.x, \uDDDD and \UDDDDDDDD are interpreted as Unicode escapes in
raw Unicode strings. That was a mistake, but we can't fix it (except
when using "from __future__ import unicode_literals"). In 3.0, \u or
\U in a raw string should have no special meaning -- it's just a
backslash followed by 'u' or 'U'.

This was fixed in 3.0a3. It seems to have reverted to the old (2.x)
behavior in 3.0a4.

THIS MUST BE FIXED!