[Python-3000] python-safethread project status

Adam Olsen rhamph at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 05:01:03 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>  > Huh? We do that all the time. We won't let you control when memory is
>  > deallocated.
>
>  I hardly think that being able to kill threads is
>  anywhere near as dangerous as being able to scribble
>  all over memory. And I *can* actually do that if I
>  really want, using ctypes. :-)

Killing threads at arbitrary points really is that dangerous.  You can
do it too, if you know the right APIs to access using ctypes.

I'd love a magic solution to cleanly exiting a thread, but I don't
think one is possible.  You need some way to contain the insanity.
Using a process is one.  Using a side-effect-free language is another.
 Cancellation is a third option, and what I think will be the most
convenient for python.

--
Adam Olsen, aka Rhamphoryncus