[Python-3000] Phasing out % string formatting

Eric Smith eric+python-dev at trueblade.com
Sat Apr 12 00:21:28 CEST 2008

I've proposed on another thread the no new features are added to %
formatting, specifically the PEP 3127 (Integer Literal Support and
Syntax) '%b' formatting.  It didn't generate any discussion, so I
thought I'd bring it up in its own thread.

I'd like to see us take the position that % formatting is being phased
out, if not actually starting the deprecation process.  If it's being
phased out, then I think it makes sense to add no new features to it.

Early in the PEP 3101 (Advanced String Formatting) discussion, Guido
said that he'd like to deprecate % formatting, but that it was too late
in the 3.0 stage to actually do that[1] yet.  I'm not sure if the
thinking has changed since then, but I'm hoping that it's still
desirable to do that deprecation eventually.  And if it's going to be
deprecated, let's not add features to it.

[1] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2007-August/009621.html