[Python-3000] Recursive str

atsuo ishimoto ishimoto at gembook.org
Tue Apr 15 04:07:05 CEST 2008

2008/4/15, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
>  > A complaint about this would carry more weight when it came from
>  > someone who actually has to deal with the issue
>

> It's not a complaint, just something I thought of. If
>  Japanese programmers aren't actually bothered by this,
>  then I'm not either.

  I'm a Japanese, and I'm bothered for years! I maintained a patch to print
Japanese strings collect for a long time.

In Japan(and China, Korea and other lot of countries), most text data
are built with non-Latin characters. For example, my name 'Atsuo
Ishimoto' is written in four Kanji characters("\u77f3\u672c\u6566\u592b"),
and my address 'Koshigaya city, Saitama' is also written in some
kanji characters.
Custom for-loop for debug works, but I definitely prefer Unicode-friendly
repr().