[Python-3000] Displaying strings containing unicode escapes at the interactive prompt

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 13:06:36 CEST 2008

atsuo ishimoto wrote:
> Question: Are you happy if you are forced to live with these hacks forever?
> If not, why do you think I'll accept your suggestion?

If they worked, I'd be happy to use them wherever they made my life
easier. They don't work though, so the point is rather moot.

I think attempting it makes a reasonable case that the problem you raise
*can't* be adequately addressed purely as a display issue though,
indicating it may be time to reconsider how repr() works for strings as
you originally suggested.

This is important information for a PEP writer to include to counter the
arguments of anyone that initially has a similar attitude to the problem
as I did.

Cheers,
Nick.