[Python-3000] PEP 3108 - stdlib reorg/cleanup

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Apr 29 07:23:39 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> A few comments:
>
>  Intro to delete: could point out here that anyone who really wants a
>  deleted module can/should update it to work with 3.0 and make available
>  through PyPI.

Guido and I discussed this and he pointed out that if someone went
that far we probably should consider keeping the module. But there was
originally a comment along those lines.

>  ---------
>
>  obsolete/popen2 ... "replaces them."
>       'them' should be 'it':

Yep. I originally had 'commands' and 'popen2' as the same bullet point.

> any other popenx modules seem to be gone
>  already
>  ---------------
>

>  "This
>  will be accomplished by using the ``as`` keyword in import statements
>  to bind in the module namespace to the old name while importing based
>  on the new name.
>  "
>  This should only be done if there is not already an 'as' clause!
>  If there is, just substitute.

Done.

>  +1 on everything proposed.  This will make the stdlib less confusing,
>  especially for newcomers.
>
>  I might like to see even more packages, but do not have the energy to
>  research/propose/argue for any.

=) Yeah, it was tough to come up with the ones there, especially
trying to keep with the "new packages only when the names are an
improvement" guideline.

-Brett