[Python-3000] Displaying strings containing unicode escapes

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 21:00:25 CEST 2008

On 4/29/08, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> atsuo ishimoto writes:
>
>   > 2008/4/17 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>:
>   > >  How about choosing a standard Python repertoire (based on the Unicode
>   > >  standard, of course) of which characters get a graphic repr and which
>   > >  ones get \u-escaped, and have a post-hook for repr which gets passed
>   > >  the string repr proposes to print out?

>   > Will the standard repertoire exclude Cyrillic or full-with ASCII?

> "Exclude"?  Nothing is "excluded".  In my proposal, compatibility
>  (full-width) "ASCII" will be \u-escaped by repr, yes.

but ...

> [[ You have the way my proposal works backwards.  The post-hook
>  may be provided by the user  ...

I think "standard repertoire based on Unicode" may be confusing the issue.

As I understand it, you're saying something like

    For strings, repr will delegate to display_string.

    Users can (and should) supply a display_string function
appropriate to their own system.

    The default display_string will display ASCII, and unicode-escape
everything else.

Except that you're leaving wiggle room for refinements like:

    "OK, we'll display all of Latin-1 by default, because we did in the past"
or
    "For security reasons, the control character codes will always be
escaped, instead of passing them to string_display"

-jJ