[Python-3000] PEP 3108 - stdlib reorg/cleanup

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Apr 29 23:42:39 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Benjamin Peterson
<musiccomposition at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>  >  Well, I have been planning implementing that exact function at some
>  >  point as part of my "let's get Python's testing tool support up to
>  >  snuff" project (which, of course, will happen between now and when I
>  >  fall over dead). I honestly didn't know about the patch plus I don't
>  >  have the time to go through and change every import for every module
>  >  such that the module being tested is optional (and thus skipped), but
>  >  that if the support modules are missing the test fails.
>
>  It looks like the patch already changes tests, which have optional imports.

Right, but that is not the extend I was thinking for "optional". I
personally want to see it so that if the module being tested is not
present, the test is skipped, otherwise failing imports means there is
a test error. The patch only covers like five modules (most of which
are being removed) which have modules that are optional for some
tests.

-Brett