[Python-3000] Set literal

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jan 25 05:12:05 CET 2008

For the record, I'm thinking Raymond has won this argument fair and
square, and I'm withdrawing my opposition.

I hope it isn't too confusing that {1: 1} creates a *mutable* dict
while {1} creates an *immutable* frozenset. I still find this slightly
inelegant. But the practicality of being able to treat set literals as
compile-time constants wins me over.

(I suspect for a 2-element set of ints or strings, translating "x in
{C1, C2}" into "x in (C1, C2)" might actually be a slight win since
probing a tuple must be much faster than probing a set; but that's a
detail.)

--Guido