[Python-3000] Making 2to3 installable

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Mar 16 22:07:06 CET 2008

>>> Cool! Is the next plan to make lib2to3 part of the stdlib in 2.6 and 3.0?
>>  Next, I want to have distutils (build_py) to invoke 2to3 as a
>>  command-line tool. I think this will already cover most uses
>>  that people may have.
>
> Are you serious?

Wrt. invoking it from distutils: Why not?

Wrt. this covering all uses: Surely the ones that people
would use the library for, no?

>>  Moving lib2to3 into the standard library would mean that the
>>  trunk and 3k copies diverge, right?
>
> Not necessarily. If you check it into 2.6 first, then merge and apply
> it to its merged self, afterwards most changes would merge into 3.0
> just fine.

Ok, I'll do that.

We should decide which of the copies remains the master, and
which copies use merge-tracking. I would propose the sandbox
copy remains the one where we check in stuff, so that 2to3
can still get distributed as a stand-alone application.

> I'd like to clean it up and make it a toplevel package. But I may not
> have the time, so until I do (or someone else does) it's best to keep
> it inside lib2to3.

Ok, I'll move it into lib2to3 then also.

Regards,
Martin