[Python-3000] u'text' as an alias for 'text'?

Charles Merriam charles.merriam at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 16:40:57 CET 2008

Hello Lennart,

As you can see by the growing conversation, the matter is a bit old
and, with age, smells
bad.  I'd like to convince you that it is a bad idea anyway.

The problem is not the gratuitous removal of the leading 'u', but the
subtle problems when
the code looks nearly identical.  The most likely one to cause
problems is the new semantics
of the keys operations.   While I haven't read the 3.0 code, this is
what was stated at Guido's
last talk.